How to replace karnatic to English piano notes

GERALD DAMIAN

Reaction score
Hi
I am Greald
Please help me to write music notes from Carnatic to English piano notes.
Because lots of posts are in Carnatic music notes.
Thanks

P

pendradusa

Hi
I am Greald
Please help me to write music notes from Carnatic to English piano notes.
Because lots of posts are in Carnatic music notes.
Thanks

You need to always find the Tonic note when converting Western to Carnatic or vice versa.
Your Tonic note in Carnatic music is always Sa. Its the shurthi that varies from 1- 7. Which is
Shurthi 1 = C
Shurthi 1.5 = C#
Shruthi 2 = D
Shurthi 2.5 = D#
Shruthi 3 = E

and so on.

So say your tonic note is C which is shruthi 1, then

Sa = C
Ri1 = C#
Ri2 / Ga1 = D
Ga2 = D#
Ga3 = E
Ma1 = F
Ma2 = F#
Pa = G
Da1 = G#
Da2/ Ni1 = A
Ni2 = A#
Ni3 = B

Now if the tonic note is D, then just replace Sa with D and next notes accordingly in the above chart.
Sa = D
Ri1 = D#
Ri2 / Ga1 = E
Ga2 = F
Ga3 = F#
Ma1 = G
Ma2 = G#
Pa = A
Da1 = A#
Da2/ Ni1 = B
Ni2 = C
Ni3 = C#
Also, here I used just Major and normal notes. If you are familiar with Western notes, please correct them according to the scale. I am not too good at western notes but this is just a concept of how you convert the notes. C# can be just Db, F# in some scales is written as Gb. So just substitute accordingly and you should get the idea.

If you look at my videos on youtube where I provide carnatic notes, I always provide the Shruthi whcih is the tonic note. So based on that Shruthi or Tonic note, you can start creating the chart by assigning the Tonic note to Sa and then the next note accordingly.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and we pride ourselves in offering quality music notations and music discussions among different people of all backgrounds. We are working hard every day to make sure that our community is one of the best around here. We believe, sharing knowledge is true caring - whether you are a pro or a beginner, you would benefit from this fraternity. Join us and let’s walk together this exciting musical journey. It's fun unlimited and musically bonding!

Facebook