Dismiss Notice
Hello, Please Sign-up now to request music notations for your favorite songs! It's free!
If you have already registered, please login

Keyboard and carnatic raagas - relation and play technique

Discussion in 'Other piano music notes section' started by Jimsweb, Feb 9, 2011.

1. Jimsweb

Jimsweb Super Moderator

In this thread, we will explore how Keyboard and carnatic raagas are related. how it could be utilized in a better way.

Usually there are 72 melakarta ragas and for all possible combinations of seven-note scales from the 16-note classification of the octave (36 of them with the natural 4, and 36 with the raised 4). For example, major, melodic minor, harmonic minor, Dorian, Lydian, Mixolydian b6, Ionian b2b6, etc.—and virtually any other seven-note mode or scale you can think of—are among these ragas. From the parent ragas, 34,776** ragas (five-note ragas; six-note ragas; five-notes-going up, seven-coming-down ragas; etc.) called janya ragas are derived.

You can use the following image as a reference point.

[​IMG]

Keybed.jpg

[​IMG]

#1 Jimsweb, Feb 9, 2011
    Last edited: May 26, 2016
  2. Jimsweb

Jimsweb Super Moderator

this is yet another excellent quick help:

Code:

1  2  3  4  5  6  7  8  9  10 11 12

carnatic       : s  r1 r2 g1 g2 m1 m2 p  d1 d2 n1 n2   
    western        : C  C# D  D# E  F  F# G  G# A  A# B

3. jshrikrish

jshrikrish New Member

Hi,

Thanks very much for this useful post. I have a problem. I can only see the first 6 Melakarta ragas and I am not able to save it as image. Would you be able to help me around this?

Thanks,

jshri

4. Jimsweb

Jimsweb Super Moderator

#4 Jimsweb, May 1, 2014
    Last edited by a moderator: Apr 30, 2016
  5. vishnu narayanan

vishnu narayanan Super Moderator

Good.I have a book of Carnatic with all ragas and study materials.but it have 250 pages.so cant uploaded

Music notes recommendations for you: