How to play on keyboard

santhi

Reaction score

Hi I am trying to practice Carnatic vocals on the keyboard for perfecting swarasthanas. I have a 54keys keyboard. How do I know exact notes of s, r, g, m, p, d, ni, S in upper and lower sthayi? I am aware of following notes - s, r1, r2, g1, g2, g3, m1, m2, d1,d2, n1,n2,n3, S and that r2=g1, d2=n1, d3=n2.

how do I identify swaras on keyboard? my keyboard is marked by manufacturer as C2 D2 E2 F2 G2 A2 B2 ; C3 D3 E3 F3 G3 A3 B3; C4 D4 E4 F4 G4 A4 B4; C5 D5 E5 F5 G5 A5 B5; C6 D6 E6 F6 ; how do you place fingers on key board, do you use both hands?

Reaction score
* Octave in a keyboard
An Octave is a set of 13 keys (5 black and 8 white)starting from C(sa)and ends in C2(sa*)

Carnatic.png

That is,if you want to know the number of octaves in your keyboard,then just count the number of sa(C)....
In the above picture,3 octaves are there.

* C2,C3........

The numbers like 2,3 indicates the Note position,means it shows- to which octave it(Notes) belongs to.The first two octaves are base.As octave increases,pitch also increases.
If you want to play a song with very high pitch,then you can use 4th/5th octave for playing.If the song is in a low pitch,you can make use of 2/3 octave.It depends upon the number of octaves in your keyboard.If you have a keyboard with 5 octaves,then you can play high pitch songs accordingly.

* Fingering

The first rule of piano fingering is that the shorter fingers play the longer keys, and the longer fingers play the shorter keys.

The shorter fingers are the thumb and pinky, fingers 1 and 5. The longer fingers are the index, middle and ring fingers, fingers 2, 3 and 4.

natural_hand_position.png
You can Examine the pic for fingering both left and right.

*Using of Both hands.

1. You must practice All major and minor chords first.
Major chords:- http://myoozic.com/threads/major-scales-an-intro.17163/

2. Determine the song's key
3.use appropriate chords(if the song is in C Major scale,then the chord will be c major chord)
4.change chords according to the song(Chord progression-google it for more)

(*if the song is on C major scale, the notes C and G would be in sync with the song always. This is the base for music theory. If the song is on D major scale, the notes D and A would be in sync with the song always.. and so on. Similar manner you can create chords. The only criteria is that the chord you are producing should match musically and note wise - this should be the primary thumb rule while figuring out the chords.)-Thanks @Jimsweb

Doubts?Then plz feel free ro ask me

Last edited:

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and we pride ourselves in offering quality music notations and music discussions among different people of all backgrounds. We are working hard every day to make sure that our community is one of the best around here. We believe, sharing knowledge is true caring - whether you are a pro or a beginner, you would benefit from this fraternity. Join us and let’s walk together this exciting musical journey. It's fun unlimited and musically bonding!

Facebook