Chords of a song - how to identify?

Reaction score
Dear Administrator
Gone thru the threads , As I usually play Harmonium I want to know how to figure out the beginning Chord
Means if it is C major or minor , or
D major or minor etc .
Thanks

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
1. Identify the key of a song. Each song is set in a key. Some are c. Some others are c#.. or d or d# .. and so on.

If you can figure out the key its easy to figure out chords. For example if a song is based on c, you can be sure thar chords c and g will suit that song.

2. If you have a keyboard, you can transpose it and try to find out chords. Either way knowing the scale or key of a song is important.

3. To figure out the key of a song you can try this. Pay the song and hold sa pa sa. If it matches with that sruthi or pitch, then that's the key of the song. (C or sa in this case)
If that doesn't match try c# g# and c# combination. You have to continue until you find out the perfect match for that song.

Also keep in mind that, chords are nothing but notes played in synchronous way. The actual notes from the song can be used as chord generating notes

Keep trying and you will find your way out. Good luck.

Last edited:
Reaction score
Thanks I will surely follow your advise and hope that will be Ok
You have also shown me the path how to find out the Key of a song.
Regards

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and we pride ourselves in offering quality music notations and music discussions among different people of all backgrounds. We are working hard every day to make sure that our community is one of the best around here. We believe, sharing knowledge is true caring - whether you are a pro or a beginner, you would benefit from this fraternity. Join us and let’s walk together this exciting musical journey. It's fun unlimited and musically bonding!

Facebook