Suggestions for improving tonal quality in violin

Red gyaradoz

Reaction score
Hello myoozic I'm self teaching violin for now. One problem which has plagued me for past 1 year is the difference on tonal quality between 2 strings. For example, sa in 3rd string (base position) and the sa in 2nd string ( 3rd finger position), have the same frequency when I play (I've checked it multiple times), but they don't feel same.. The timbre and hardness of the tone is different. Same happens with PA in 4th string feels a bit harsher and has more timbre than playing PA in 3rd string. One method which I found out helps slightly is changing the pressure applied with the bow. I would be very grateful if the Violin players can share how they go about this problem? Also, will buying better quality strings help?

Reactions: Jimsweb

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
there are numerous reasons. And here are some tips that might help you:

1) the more you play your violin , the more it becomes easy to play, day by day

2) please cross check your violin tuning by using android app like gstrings

3) get better violin / string with the help of learned people (it matters)

4) Do not use more rosin on bow - just 5 strokes would do

5) try to tune in and keep the violin as it is - do not change the violin tuning everyday. Violin is an instrument that needs time to get its characteristics over a period of time. The more you play, it gets set on those frequencies..

above all i suggest you start under a guru.

Last edited:

Red gyaradoz

Reaction score
there are numerous reasons and some tips that might help you:

1) the more you play your violin , the more it becomes easy to play, day by day
2) please cross check your violin tuning by using android app like gstrings
3) get better violin / string with the help of learned people (it matters)
4) Do not use more rosin on bow - just 5 strokes would do
5) try to tune in and keep the violin as it is - do not change the violin tuning everyday. Violin is an instrument that needs time to get its characteristics over a period of time. The more you play, it gets set on those frequencies..

above all i suggest you start under a guru.
Thank you sir. I do use gstrings right now to keep my violin in tune and strictly tune it to DADA only. I can't get a guru unfortunately for next few years due to my job (emergency medicine). I didn't know about the Violin setting to the frequency it plays.. Thanks again...

Soumen

Reaction score
As a violin player i can say you that tuning is a very important thing for violin. Its play a importany role.I don't khow what kind of music you play. But basically D A D A tuning is mostly used in carnatic music, when standard international tuning is G D A E respectively from 4th string to 1st string. Thank You. ! !

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
DADA tuning is nothing but he is tuning for 2 katta. It's a good tuning for film music. Infact i tune my violin to eb eb to get an even better tone. :)

But you will have a hard time in following your song vocally on high notes..

For learning purpose, i guess cg cg tuning is better.

Thread starter Similar threads Forum Replies Date
Jimsweb Suggestion on improving google page rank Suggestions and feedback 1