164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai

Jimsweb

Super Moderator
Reaction score
Website
www.myoozic.com
E'-SWARA- 001-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Inaguration concert Shri P unni krishnan

YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 001-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri P Unnikrishnan-Inaguration concert.flv

E'-SWARA- 002-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri TM Krishna.

YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 002-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri TM Krishna.flv

Serial # 54 under
http://www.sangeethamshare.org/tvg/VIDEOS/

E'-SWARA- 003-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Maharajapuram Shri. Srinivasan-Part I
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 003-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Maharajapuram Shri. Srinivasan-Part I.flv

E'-SWARA- 003A-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Maharajapuram Shri.Srinivasan-Part II
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 003A-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Maharajapuram Shri.Srinivasan-Part II.flv

E'-SWARA- 004-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri KJ Jesudas-part I.
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 004-164Th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri KJ Jesudas-part I.flv

E'-SWARA- 004A-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri KJ Jesudas-partII
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 004A-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Shri KJ Jesudas-partII.flv

E'-SWARA- 005-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Carnatica Brothers

YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 005-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Carnatica Brothers-.flv

Thyagaraja Aradhana 2011 - Pancharatna Kritis Live

Shri Thyagaraja Aradhana is being conducted by the aradhana committee, and the aradhana that they conduct is the musical homage and feeding of visitors and musicians. But there is an other side of the coin to this. Shri Thyagaraja was not only a saint but took Sanyasa and attained videha mukthi and his Adhishtanam (or otherwise called as Samadhi) is maintained with daily poojas by his descendants. Currently One Shri Thyagaraja Sastrigal is taking care of the daily pooja of the adhistanam.

While we know that the coverage and publicity of the event is worldwide, the huge contributions from music rasikas and patrons for this yearly aradhana are completely taken into account by the committee that is headed by musical elites and political VIPs. Though it is a very highly funded committee, they hardly do anything about the daily pooja and nithya aradhana for the saint. It is said that even oils for the lamps inside the temple is not funded by the so called committee. Only the local residents of Thiruvayyar and near by villages knows about it. Shri Thyagaraja Sastrigal never speaks about this anywhere to anyone. He is performing the poojas and all other aradhanas as per the Shastraic traditions through his personal earnings and the collections from his relatives, well wishers and some bhaktas who voluntarily donate for the traditional pooja.

We all get to know that the aradhana is all about only doing the abhishekam of the saint's idol on the bahula panchami day and singing pancharatnam by vidwans and the concerts held days before and after. The aradhana typically has this traditional element called :-

1. Veda Ghana Paarayana
2. Homams
3. Brahmana samaradhana (calling vedic brahmins and honouring them)
4. Yathi Shraadham (yearly obseques performed to the yati, which is similar to our brahmin shraadh though for sanyasis the mantras and practises are different)
5. Aradhana, brahmana and graama bhojanam. (This is done as per vedic practise and the entire village is fed by the Sastrigal's family on the aradhana day.
6. Monthly nakshathra pooja and abhishekam of the saint
7. Radha kalyana and bhajanotsava (as Shri Thyagaraja belongs to the Sampradaya nama sankeerthana community and has propogated himself with his utsava sampradaya krithis)
8. Daily pooja and abhishekam along with nivedanam.

There is absolutely no money allocated for any of the above activities by the committee and they are all done with individual contributions (mostly inadequate) from people who know these issues. This year i heard there was a lot of difficulty in getting both ends meet for the yearly poojas as above.

My humble request is if rasikas can contribute any amount for the above cause by contacting Shri Thyagaraja Shastrigal at the adhishtanam whenever they visit it will be great punyam for them. I request our Mods / Admin to make this particular request a sticky one as it can really be useful for daily pooja activities for the great saint.

E'-SWARA- 006-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Mangala Isai.
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 006-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Mangala Isai.flv

E'-SWARA- 007-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Jagatha-Nattai
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 007-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Jagatha-Nattai.flv

'E'-SWARA- 008-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Dudukugala Nanne Goula-Saadhinchane-Arabhi.
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 008-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Dudukugala Nanne Goula-Saadhinchane-Arabhi.flv

'E'-SWARA- 009-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Kanakanaruchira Varaali
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 009-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Kanakanaruchira Varaali.flv

'E'-SWARA- 010-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Endaro Mahanubhavulu Sri
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 010-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Endaro Mahanubhavulu Sri.flv

'E'-SWARA- 017-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-A Kanyakumari-violin
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 017-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-A Kanyakumari-violin-Jan26.flv

E'-SWARA- 018-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Subha Ganesh
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 018-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Subha Ganesh-Jan26.flv

E'-SWARA- 019-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Smt Suma Sudhindra
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 019-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-Smt Suma Sudhindra.flv

E'-SWARA- 020-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-sudha ragunathan
YouTube - 'E'-SWARA- 020-164th Thyagaraja Aradhanai-sudha ragunathan-Jan26.flv

Thirumanjana Veedhi where Sri Thyagaraja's house is located was decorated with a pandal from its entrance from the main road to just beyond the renovated house. There was cloth wrapping on both sides of the street that obscured the frontage of all the houses. I am sure the outside has also been subjected to "renovation".

The pandal had posters showing the pictures of G K Vasan, Jairam Ramesh and some local luminaries. So I couldn't show you what has been done to the outside.

Inside the house, after the "thinnai" area, there is just one large hall where there is an idol of Sri Thyagaraja to whom worship is offered. There were a couple of shelves -- one with books on Carnatic music and another contained CDs. I am sure CDs existed during Sri Thyagaraja's time!

The Rajagopuram is under wraps as it is being renovated. We can expect to see garish paints liberally applied to the statuary on the gopuram when the "renovated" rajagopuram in unveiled.

But I fear even worse things will happen.

There are murals along the walls on the inside of the temple. From the looks of it, these murals may be a couple of hundred years old. As usual, vandals have scratched out their names, the date of their visit, their love for their girlfriends, etc., right on top of the murals. I am afraid that the temple authorities (the temple is under the Dharmapuram Adheenam; not that the Hindu Religious & Charitable Establishments department of the Government of Tamil Nadu is a better guardian of our heritage) will either paint over these murals or apply today's oil paints on them to make them shiny and new.

The idiocy of the average "educated" Tamilian knows no bounds. The Madurai Meenakshi Temple was being cleaned by sandblasting some 5 years back. That temple, I believe, is under the Madurai Adheenam. Somehow, that vandalism was stopped after several pillars were damaged by the sandblasting.

One other temple was sandblasted by one of these Adheenams, resulting in the loss of delicate carvings on the pillars.... I don't recall which temple this was. One could use water and detergent if one wants to clean the pillars of accumulated oil, kumkum and vibhuthi on the pillars. But, give a monkey a sandblasting tool and it will sandblast everything in sight.

About us

• Our community has been around for many years and we pride ourselves in offering quality music notations and music discussions among different people of all backgrounds. We are working hard every day to make sure that our community is one of the best around here. We believe, sharing knowledge is true caring - whether you are a pro or a beginner, you would benefit from this fraternity. Join us and let’s walk together this exciting musical journey. It's fun unlimited and musically bonding!

Facebook